The Meadow Wing at Palo Alto Commons is a specialized and dignified program for residents with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia, providing a full daily schedule of engaging and meaningful activities in a secure, friendly, homelike environment.
See Palo Alto Commons TestimonialsThe Palo Alto Commons team is a member of the MUSIC & MEMORY® Certification Program. Those who complete this program are certified as providers of our personalized music program. Our certification ensures families that their loved ones will have access to the transformative, therapeutic benefits of personalized music and marks the organization’s commitment to person-centered care.
A Safe, Comfortable Atmosphere.
The accommodations are spacious and cheerful and many apartments feature views of lovely gardens and outdoor pathways. All assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and many specialized licensed nurse services are included in the monthly Meadow Wing fee. We develop a Personalized Care Plan, tailored toward each resident’s individual needs.
We offer both shared living accommodations and private apartment residences. We encourage the display of personal memorabilia and photos, as well as decorating each private space with favorite furnishings and treasures. Accented with distinctive colors and visual cues to reassure residents, the activities area and dining rooms are lovely spaces for meaningful gatherings and programs. The unobtrusive security system also ensures a safe environment.
Every member of the Meadow Wing care team completes a rigorous instruction program to understand Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. They’re trained to interact with residents in a manner that helps alleviate agitation, anger and anxiety. Through classroom instruction and direct interaction with residents, our team learns to provide care and stimulation with compassion and a smile. They’re trained to respond to resident behaviors in ways that are personal, supportive and non-judgmental, using skill and warmth. A licensed nurse supervises the Meadow Wing program, which is staffed 24 hours a day with a staff-to-resident ratio that far exceeds federal and state regulatory standards.
Recognizing that residents aren’t the only ones affected by Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, our program also helps family members through their challenges. We invite families to participate in the development of their loved one’s care plan and to remain involved as a vital, important part of their lives.
Meadow Wing Activities
In the Meadow Wing, the activity program is extensive, with meaningful activities from morning to evening. New activities take place every 20-30 minutes throughout the day. Two full-time activity staff members engage residents in activities daily and residents participate in one of two concurrent activity groups, based on their level of functioning.
The Aspen Club and the Willow Club are tailored for residents at different social and cognitive levels.
The Aspen Club focuses on intellectual challenges, creative expression and social opportunities:
- Intellectual – word games, trivia, current events/ travel discussion
- Creative – ceramics, watercolors painting, scrapbooking, cooking
- Social – discussion/reminiscing, parties, season/holiday celebrations
The Willow Club promotes reminiscing, life skills, and sensory stimulation:
- Reminiscing – story-telling, life stories, bread making, scenic drives
- Life skills – folding baby clothes, matching socks, clipping coupons
- Sensory – aromatherapy, massage, music, cooking
Amenities Included in Your Monthly Fee
- 24/7 licensed nurse and trained care staff
- Monthly blood pressure and weight measurements
- Monthly registered dietician consultations
- Full calendar of social, educational and cultural programs
- Emergency response system in your apartment, and personal help button for use within our community
- Transportation 7 days a week to medical & dental appointments
- Daily bed-making and trash collection
- Weekly housekeeping and flat linen service
- Weekly personal laundry service
- Utilities (excluding phone and cable)
- Dry cleaning pick-up and delivery
Personalized Care Services Included
- Medication assistance
- Morning/evening care (dressing/grooming)
- Shower or sponge bathing assistance
- Incontinence assistance
- Escort to meals and/or activities
- Escort to medical appointments at designated times
- Safety night checks
Licensed Nurse Services Included
- Oxygen management
- Glucose testing and insulin injections
- Other injections
- Blood pressure monitoring
- First aid
- Three fresh, delicious meals daily
- Abundant menu choices
- Morning/afternoon snack and beverage service
Additional Amenities Available for Separate Fees
- On-site salon for hair and nails
- On-site dental hygienist
- On-site podiatry services
- On-site physical, speech and occupational therapy
Meadow Wing Dining Program
The Meadow Wing provides a pleasant and supportive dining experience for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Residents enjoy dining in a delightful dining room, with caring and attentive staff members on hand to assist with dining needs. The Meadow Wing Dining Program is resident-centered and honors resident preferences and choices. Residents share the friendly company of their fellow residents while enjoying meals that are freshly and professionally prepared. The Meadow Wing Dining Room offers mild to moderate staff support with dining needs.
- We offer a high staff-to-resident ratio at all meals
- Staff monitoring of resident intake during meals to stay current and informed on residents’ eating habits
- Staff monitoring of weight gain and loss to better plan each resident’s ongoing dining and care plans
- Options for special dietary considerations
- Monthly visits from a registered dietician, who reviews dietary concerns and makes recommendations
- Assistance with coordination of dietary supplements